Thursday, March 7, 2013

CAR WARS MAD MAX STYLE

 
Hello everyone, its been fairly quiet around here, so I thought I would just make a quick
mention of some facts, as some of you know, I live in a two storey apartment, this combined with record temperatures here in Melbourne, Australia, of continual 30+ degree (86+ fahrenheit) days have contributed to me doing very little to no painting of miniatures, its warm up here most of the time but when you throw in continual heat day after day, painting becomes very difficult, even with the air con on I find that the paint still drys very quickly, pretty much not even worth doing, painting will resume when it cools down.   
 
 

 
 
So, what does a fella like me do when its too hot to paint? Breakout my fave Board game of course! Car Wars, published by Steve Jackson Games all the way back in the eighty's (where is that Hot tub time machine gone ?), it is a game based sometime in the future where civilization as we know it has kinda broken down and Auto duelling is a way of life, you may or may not remember this game, but either way it was my favorite board game as I was growing up, getting back to this game was always on the cards but fortune smiles on me once more, because that time has arrived. 
 
 

 

As the title of this post suggests I will be doing Car Wars with a Mad Max theme, infact, my first game of Car Wars will be based on the car chase scene from the first Mad Max movie, rules wise I will be using a combination of the Car Wars Compendium 2.5 rules and the rules found in an article of the 'Autoduel Quarterly' the official Car Wars Magazine, the article was called 'Chassis and Crossbow : Low-Tech Autoduelling, they are a classic set of rules that were almost made for Mad Max gaming (with minimal modifying), I will design some game counters and terrain and report back to this blog regularly with updates, eventually culminating in a battle report, this should not take me long to put together (I've heard those words before...). 

10 comments:

Vampifan said...

I'll be watching this project with great interest. I was a huge fan of Car Wars and I can still remember the Chassis and Crossbow rules. Also, Mad Max 2: The Road warrior is one of my all time favourite films. Good luck on the Project, mate!

Clint said...

I can only echo Vampifan's comments. Be very good to see a decent road warrior/Car wars/mad max game.

As for that heat far to hot for me, I think I'd melt!

The Extraordinarii said...

@Vampifan - this project will be based on the first Mad Max movie, I may have a go at the second (the Road warrior)movie laterz, we will see.

@Clint - I hope I was clear, I will be using counters and NOT miniatures in this project :)

Simon Quinton said...

Sounds good one of my favourite subjects!

Shelldrake said...

I am over the heat in a big way too. It has reduced me to playing PC games as it requires less energy or movement on my behalf.

The Extraordinarii said...

@Simon - Mine too!
@Shelldrake - Bahahaha

lrqan said...

Oh how I remember those halcyon days of 'Car Wars' 'Ogre' and the like. I tooam interested in your project. Will you be playing solo? If so willyoubejust changing hairs or have you designed some fiendishly clever solo rules?

The Extraordinarii said...

@Irqan - I may be playing solo, but most likely with other people.

Anonymous said...

I posted on my blog a list of game titles that should be helpful when writing Chassis and Crossbow rules.

Chassis and Crossbow Checklist for March 8th
http://owenmp.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/chassis-and-crossbow-checklist-for-march-8th
Wheels, Weapons and the Wasteland
March 08, 2013

The Extraordinarii said...

Thanks Owen, I shall go over the checklist with much pleasure...